Thursday, July 19, 2012

The One Who Sets Prisoners Free

                The prophet Isaiah looked forward to the ministry of Jesus Christ as one that would set spiritual prisoners free.  We recall that Jesus applied the words of Isaiah 61:1-2 to himself while preaching on the Sabbath in the synagogue in his hometown of Nazareth (Luke 4:18-19).  Isaiah 61:1-2 prophetically puts these words in the mouth of the Messiah:

 

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me,

                because the Lord has anointed me

to bring good news to the poor;

                he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,

to proclaim liberty to the captives,

                and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor. . .

 

The reference to setting prisoners free is mainly spiritual.  Jesus Christ-- by the grace of God-- sets gloriously free those who have been held captive and prisoner by their own sin.  These lines from Isaiah 61:1-2 thus make great sense of the marvelous third stanza of Charles Wesley’s great hymn “And Can It Be?”:

 

Long my imprisoned spirit lay,

fastbound in sin and nature’s night.

Thine eye diffused, a quickening ray;

                I woke, the dungeon flamed with light.

My chains fell off; my heart was free!

                I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

Amazing love, how can it be

                that Thou my God shoulds’t die for me?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment